Sep 11, 2008

I'm proud to be an American!



So I was reading one of my friends' blogs, and she posted about where she was the morning of 9-11-01. Sitting there reading made me remember where I was, what I was doing, and how I felt. So I have to share because I am a very proud American proudly living in Canada. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.


I was getting ready for school that morning - putting the finishing touches on my hair. I always listened to music when I got ready for the day - still do. Everyone in the house was still sleeping. I remember I was singing along to one of the songs and Johnson and Johnson on KBull 93.3 interupted it with a caller. At first I thought it was just a technical mistake, when one of the Johnson's said - over the radio - "everyone - go turn on your tv's" I thought that kind of weird that the Radio DJ was telling people to watch TV, so I went upstairs to the kitchen TV and turned it on. That's when I saw the first Twin Tower full of billowing smoke and a huge hole in the side. I remembered what the building was because me and my mom were in NYC the April before and my dad had told me a little about the building. So I went in and woke up my dad by turning on his TV telling him to watch - I said that it was a plane accident. Just as we turned to KSL, we watched the second plane hit. We sat there, so shocked we didn't know what to say or do, or anything!! I finally asked "Dad, What's happening?" and he said "We're being attacked!" I couldn't believe it! I sat there, unable to move. About a half hour later, my dad told me to go to school to find out what was happening there and if they were gonna send everyone home.
When I got to school - no one had any idea! My computers teacher asked why I was late and I told him "I was watching the news" He laughed at me and told me what a great excuse, but that it didn't work - so I turned on our TV in the room. I just remember the look on his face!
The Whole rest of the day was a blur! For everyone. Every class room had the TV on until about half way through the day when the Administration said to turn them off. But I don't think ANYbody got any work done that day!
I remember being so scared, confused, and MAD!!! My grandpa worked so Hard in WWII to protect this great country, and those men have to go and destroy that!!! But after the anger wore away it was more pride than anything else! We, as a country, came back so strong and proud! We could have drowned in sorrow, self pity, and anger. But we are a stronger country for it! Remember that in the coming Election and BE PROUD to be and AMERICAN!!!




"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free! Where I forget the men who died who gave that right to me! And I gladly Stand Up, Next to you and defend her still today. Cause there ain't no doubt I love this Land! GOD BLESS THE USA!"

1 comment:

KC said...

Thanks Tara. That was beautiful!